What is Yoga?
Yoga is a practice that has been around for thousands of years. Ancient India was the first to have adopted this practice. Originally Ancient India used yoga in ritual acts and now it has developed into a modern form of exercise. Although it has revolutionized, its poses have been around for centuries.
Yoga is a practice of physical, mental, and spiritual exercises . These exercises revolve around building strength, flexibility, and mental clarity. This practice has many elements of spirituality. Yoga specifically focuses on the body and mind becoming one. To learn more about the practice of mind, body, and spirit; make sure to check out our article The Importance of Holistic Health. Read More of Article Here
Learn the Different Forms
There are many different forms of yoga, but within this section four main types will be the focus.
- This is the most common form of yoga. This type focuses on the connection between body and mind. The majority of these practices are easygoing, although there can be tougher poses. Hatha is practiced at a slower pace. Therefore this practice is great for beginners. Since this form is slow, it makes it easier for the individual to improve flexibility and to lower their blood pressure.
- A main focus for this practice is once again on the body and mind, but more importantly a spiritual connection. Chanting is a large part of this practice. Chanting helps an individual get closer to their conscious. Kundalini poses are used to help individuals kick bad habits. In some cases it can even help an individual detoxify.
- This is one of the most physically demanding types. Within this specific form, there are many flows called vinyasas. Vinyasas are a combination of different poses that follow one after another. Within Ashtanga there are many vinyasas throughout the practice. This requires the individual to be able to have endurance. This form focuses on strengthening the core and creating muscle definition.
- Bikram / Hot
- Bikram is a set of poses that are taught in a hot room. Since the room is very hot, this helps the individual release toxins through sweat droplets. Bikram is a form of hot yoga. This is any form of yoga in a hot room, while Bikram is only one specific form. This type helps to cleanse the body of harmful toxins and to keep muscles relaxed.
So Why is Yoga Good for You?
Yoga has many physical benefits. Below are some of the physical benefits of yoga.
- Weight loss
- Improved flexibility
- Muscle definition
- Improved heart rate
- Increased energy throughout the day
As one can see there are many physical benefits. These benefits help an individual’s body run at a high level of efficiency. Yoga also focuses on the mind and spirit. Below are some of the mental and spiritual benefits.
- Improved mood
- Better connection with oneself
- Increased confidence about self
- Lower stress levels
- Enhanced sense of focus
Regardless of a physical, mental, or spiritual benefit, as one can see yoga creates a healthy lifestyle. When practicing it is easy to receive physical, mental, and spiritual benefits at the same time!
Yoga is a very easy practice to take up. The only material needed is a mat! It is important to take it slow and steady. It is more important to complete the practice correctly, rather than too quickly.
Check out CARAVAN Wellness and look at our mission. At CARAVAN Wellness, our focus is to help individuals succeed and reach their goals. Find a purpose and don’t forget to subscribe to our programs. Subscribe Here!